Good Things to Say to the Clinically Depressed
I’ve compiled this list once when I was on depression forum. Having the permission of people who participated in getting this list together, I’m posting it here. Hopefully you’ll find it useful.
- The exact same thing you would say to anyone else
- I’m sorry to hear that
- I’m here to listen
- Let me know if I can help
- Please know you can come and talk to me
- Don’t feel like you have to fake being happy around me
- I care about you
- I’m not going to judge you for crying
- I love you
- Your feelings matter
- You are a beautiful, strong person
- You are not alone
- You will get through this
- It’s okay to feel the way you do
- Know I am here for you 24/7 if you need me
- You can rely on me
- You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to
- Would you like me to go and get your meds for you?
- Do you want to be left alone, or would you like me to stay?
- Sorry dude, I don’t know what to say
- Just calling to see how you’re doing today?
- I haven’t heard from you for awhile and just wanted to check in?
- Would you like to go out for lunch or I could bring lunch to your house?
- How about if I come over with dinner and we can chat?
- I would like to learn more about this, where I find more information?
- Will you please explain what it’s like having depression the way you do so I can better understand?
- You look like you need a hug.
- You don’t have to go through life hiding
- Let’s go do <something>
- It must be hard for you
- I don’t know what to do, but I’d like to help
- Don’t answer if you don’t want to, I don’t want to pry but…
- Hang on, I’m coming round to see you
- Don’t ever feel you can’t tell me stuff – I’ll listen to anything
- If you ever need to talk, about anything, just call
- Hey do you want to take a walk.. etc, etc, etc.
- Nothing you do will push me away, I won’t leave
- It’s not your fault you’re feeling like this
“See? It’s easy! All you have to do is care!”